Homeschool Supermom... Not! by Susan Kemmerer
It’s finally here! This book, 20 years in the making, is full of photos, ideas, tips, Scripture, humor, and practical application. In it, you will find help for your home and school and hope for your soul. You might think I’m not just a homeschool mom like you. I’m the epitomy of the Homeschool Supermom - or so it may seem. I’ve homeschooled my nine amazing kids for 20 years. But it’s time for me to climb down from the pedestal, and in total transparency, explode the Supermom myth. I invite you to be the proverbial fly-on-the-wall in our homeschool. You will be strengthened and encouraged as you see that I - the Homeschool Supermom - really am just like you! See photos of our house (unwashed dishes, dirty laundry, and all). Read stories of how we’ve worked out our problems (we all have them). Do Bible studies that will strengthen your soul. Equip yourself with lots of great ideas. Learn about resources that are available to you. Shore up your convictions. Cry over your sin. Laugh at the comics (by Todd Wilson, FamilyMan) and jokes. Most importantly, find strength in the grace that is readily available to you. But, “homeschooling” is just the outer trappings. If you’ve been homeschooling any length of time, you already know that it’s not your great curriculum, your clever chore chart, or your organized life that make or break your homeschool. It’s your heart. Homeschooling is merely a tool that God is using to make and shape you. So, after all the tips and ideas that permeate the pages of Homeschool Supermom...NOT!, my prayer is that the Holy Spirit will gently and persistantly draw you back to the matters of the heart. This book will help you to make those connections and lead you to make changes that will impact your school, your family, and your life.
The twelve chapters in the book are as follows:
* Exploding the Supermom Myth (to encourage you)
* Grace-Drenched Homeschooling (to help you tap into the vast resources available to you)
*I'm German and I Have PMS (all about learning how to homeschool patiently)
* C.H.A.O.S. (Constant Heckling Always Over Something) (on how to deal with sibling rivalry)
* The Sarcastic Homeschooler - Duh! (on changing the emotional tone of your homeschool)
* What About Me? (on coping with the constant drain on your time and energy)
* Marriage, Homeschool Style (on prioritizing your marriage when you have little time or energy)
* Servanthood 101 - Teaching Kids to Serve (on how to teach your kids to help around the house)
* Confessions of a Disorganized Homeschool Mom (on how to organize your home and school, especially if you're organizationally challenged, like me), * 100% Mommy, 100% Teacher (on how to homeschool when you have babies and toddlers)
*Homeschooling Distractible Kids Who Don't Like School (from me - a mom with 7 boys!)
*"Enjoying Homeschool" is Not an Oxymoron (on dealing with discouragement).
In the appendices there is information on building a conviction to homeschool, homeschooling boys, curriculum ideas and lists of books, helpful resources for organization, marriage, and parenting, and even a note to single moms. My hope and prayer is that as you read this book, you will be touched, encouraged, equipped, entertained, convicted, changed, and strengthened.
We also recommend...
Email List Signup
- Chuck Black Books Available at Schoolhouse Publishing
- Hello Cincinnati!
- Workshop Handouts